View Single Post
Old 09-16-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default 1983 G1 ignition and starter switch woes

I can't get my 1983 G1 to turn over. I recently bought this G1 and it is in bad shape and im trying to being it back to life. I have reviewed the stickies and other posts and they have helped. The CDI wires were cut into but it looks like the other owner put it back on the machine without attaching wires and or replacing fuse connectors. I reattached the wires. The positive and negative fuses were removed and I feel I got those back in place properly. Searching and using previous posts has helped but now I’m stuck. I have ordered and installed a new ignition because the old one had no keys and I think the brass / copper connectors within switch fell out. Using the old switch I was able to identify reverse as the back up horn worked for a little bit. It then stopped and has not worked since. Here are some pertinent information. I feel i have traced the problem back to key switch / accelerator start switch.

New battery was bought and installed along with new Positive side Main wire and post terminal that goes to Starter Generator.
Starter / Generator – Took it off and cleaned it up and cleaned all connections. While I had it off, I replaced the brushes because the old ones were wore out. This had nothing to do with this starting issue. Using a previous test method I tested the starter before and after brushes and it worked fine in forward and reverse directions.

Reverse Solenoid – using previous thread test method, I attached jumper to small blue wire post on the reverse terminal post. I left ground wires connected as normal. When I touched the other end of the jumper wire to positive post on battery, the starter turned over as it should.

Forward Solenoid - using previous thread test method, I attached jumper to small yellow wire post on the forward terminal post. I left ground wires connected as normal. When I touched the other end of the jumper wire to positive post on battery, the starter turned over as it should.

Battery – Test 12.61 volts
Positive Fuse connector – Both sides tested 12.58

Main key switch wire harness – w key in neutral
6 wire connector – One hot wire reading at 12.31 volts (0 volts on the other 5 wires
4 wire connector – All at 0 volts

Key switch in neutral and Main switch at accelerator not pushed in – Red wire at 12.11 volts all the time o volts on white

With Accelerator pushed in white wire becomes 12.2 volts with key in neutral, 12.2 volts with key in forward, and only 02 volts at reverse position. Yes, only 2 volts. I guess that explains why backup horn does not blow
At no point has it ever tried to turn over from pushing the accelerator

Thanks in advance for all guidance and help.
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote