View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Billlee
Not Yet Wild

Default Gear oil? Who needs stinkin' gear oil?

We bought our first golf cart two years ago. A G-1, may as well start at the beginning, right? I struggled with difficult starting all these months until a neighbor found a simple intermittent bad connection, hot wire to coil. Finally it starts reliably. I am ashamed to tell what happened next. The cart was always balky, would not run low or medium very well. Full throttle OK. Loud, clanky abrupt. My steering got stiffer and stiffer until it was undrivable. I guessed it was something to do with a steering box, something I had never investigated. My wife found the owners and service manuals on line. What an idea! I bought a quart of 90 weight gear oil and found the steering box. I was looking for the drain plug and opened the fill plug. I noticed it was rusty. I guessed there was no need to find the drain. I filled the box. Meanwhile the manual suggested I change the differential gear oil. Why not? I had so much left over. I pulled that drain plug and perhaps an ounce or two of frothed up watery lubricant drained. I poured the rest of the 90 weight into the gear housing. A miracle! The cart drives smooth, quiet and with determination. A complete transformation. Amazing!!
Billlee is offline   Reply With Quote