View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #319
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Long Travel lift front & rear, Lithium powered TXT build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I'm pretty excited about this build. It's going good so far with few complications. I started with a well used 2003 txt as you can see.

I have a Jakes long travel cart and love how the front rides. Rear is still stiff with HD leaf springs. Jakes offers a rear long travel for gas but not electric. I bought the rear kit from jakes anyway to see if it'll work with a little fabrication.

The 2nd pic shows just the jakes rear long travel. Found two major problems right away.

Problem #1 a gas cart rear axle housing tube is 2.25" diameter, an electric is 2.00" so the solid aluminum coil-over mounts will not tighten down. Solution- I bought a steel tube with an inner diameter of 2.00" and an outer diameter of 2.25". I cut it in half lengthwise making two pieces that I welded to the rear axle tube increasing it's diameter to 2.25". Problem #1 done.

Problem #2 is no lateral and roll support for rear axle since electric doesn't have a motor mount stabilizing the rear axle. Solution- I come from a jeep off-roading background and we 3-link and 4-link all the time. If I triangulate new lower links I correct this issue. A bit of DOM tubing and some rod ends, some weld in bungs and a few tab mounts and we have a solid rear.

I know I'm going back a ways on this post. I am definitely missing something here. Wouldn't the purple bars (whatever they are called) prevent the rear axle from rolling?
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote