View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
81clubcar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1981 Lithium conversion possible?

Thanks for the responses Pat911 and simicrintz,
I definitely want to switch if it is possible, I can’t stomach the thought of getting 6 new FLA. I know Going lithium will be a bit more pricey at first, but I really dislike the babysitting needed for FLA batteries... and the overall weight for my poor old cart. I literally ruined my first set of batteries without ever successfully a charging them at my house once! Charger kept shutting off after 10 min, shop said it was fine... charger would not start at all, shop said it worked fine... a year later I had 6 dead FLA...

Pat911
- thanks for the heads up about getting (3j 12v LiFePO4 and the issue, that makes sense. Reading the manufacture pages, half of them say “easy drop in ready replacement, nothing else needed” more or less. Would a single 36 LiFePO4 have a way to get 12v for the lights, or would it be better to just get a separate 12v on the side?
- how do I tell what the continuous and peak current is normal/suitable (same as my (6)6v FLA?) for a 1981 club car so that I have a reference to know what to look for with a new battery? I am not really looking to upgrade my performance or speed, just a match so the thing runs normally.

Simicrintz
- did the 1986 still use the resistor coils? Did you abandon them completely right off the bat and switch to a different controller?

Anyone
- seems like from what I read, nobody uses the old antiquated 5 solenoid/resistor coils, do I need to switch to a solid state controller or is it just a more efficient system when you do. I realize there are not many oldies like this out there to begin with... who wants to cruise at a breakneck 12mph... lol
- is there a basic beginner parts list I could use for just getting up and running and so I can research the items... I.E. - controller X, 36v LiFePO4 battery X, solenoid X, charger X... ?

Thanks folks, there are so many different ways of doing it and seems everyone has a different setup. Just trying to get my bearings so I can understand where to start.
81clubcar is offline   Reply With Quote