View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #28
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 92 CC DS gas, convert to lithium electric rebuild thread

Now for paint. I decided to use bed liner since I will be using this in the woods.

I went with Raptor liner. To me it seemed the best choice when considering durability, cost, ease of application and so on. It is made more for the DIYer which makes it nice for saving coin! You can spray it or brush/roll it.

They claim the following features and benefits:
Easy to use
Provides UV protection
Waterproof
Protects against rust, corrosion, salt, damp and extreme temperatures
Abrasion and stain resistant
Dries rapidly, is flexible and helps deaden sound and vibrations
Excellent adhesion

I decided to spray it. Almost all of the bed liner "paint jobs" I have seen where they rolled it, you can see the roller marks. The kit I bought came with an appropriate spray gun for bed liner "paints". You do need an air compressor, with appropriate volume. Good ventilation and a respirator are must haves. This stuff does have VOCs until it is fully cured.

I got the black 4 bottle kit with the spray gun on Amazon. Each bottle is 1 liter. They also make tintable bed liner you can match to your paint. There are different size packages you can get. It's a two part system, you simply poor the hardener to a lip in the bottle of the paint, shake and then screw the bottle onto the gun.

I actually ended up using a paint brush on the inside of the body, because I was an idiot and didn't have the gun set right. It only took one bottle to paint the interior of both body panels. I'm actually glad I did screw up with the gun for doing the interior of the body panels. It would have taken more than one bottle to get good coverage if I had sprayed the interior and I am not concerned with the "finish" on the interior.

It took the other three bottles to get good coverage on the exterior of the body. I had done a lot of research before doing this. There are ways to get different textures, but I couldn't get a "finer" texture even with playing with the pressure, gun setting and distance. It ended up being a bit heavier of a texture than I had planned on, but I think it looks good.

From the research I did, adhesion promoter is a must for plastic and/or fiberglass. I used some stuff I got at the local auto parts store.

IMG_1588 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1591 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1594 - Copy.jpg

Now it's starting to look like something!

IMG_1607 - Copy.jpg
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote