View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Golf Cart Fire

Glad everybody was okay and nobody got hurt! And I’m sorry it looks like you have one hell of a disaster left over.

I do have to say, if a 48v lithium pack would usually only read 51 volts then something was wrong with that pack from day 1. 51v is “dead” for a lithium pack. If it was run under 51v then damage probably occurred. Mine never goes below the mid/low 52’s. Resting off the charger it’s usually in the mid 53v range.

It is normal for the charger to go UP TO about 58v for lithium, but not above about 58.2 max. Anything above 58.4 is dangerous. My charger cuts off at 58.2 (programmed that way from allied, I didn’t modify anything).

Something sounds like it was wrong with your pack from day one if the voltages and conditions you describe are accurate. And if it was 57v and not charging something is wrong. If you had been charging it with a charger not designed for lithium then that would exacerbate the problem.

Guess we’d need more details surrounding what happened before, but it doesn’t sound like things were happy long before it caught fire
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote