View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #7
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Leaf Gen 1 to Leaf e+ Upgrade Build Thread

That’s a good point about the effects of a short, and one I hadn’t considered. Luckily I was careful and my wiring was correct so I avoided that pitfall. Should be good to go from here since the plugs make it pretty safe and foolproof. Fuses could be a good idea but would make for a pretty large wire bundle with 14 inline fuses, assuming you go that route. Also consider your shunt current from the BMS for your fuse size. Mine is around 1.5A which is one of the reasons I wanted to stay with the old system. A think you could go up to 5 amp fuse with 22ga wire and still safely protect it.

As you mentioned, the final cell references pack positive. I mounted a terminal bar that ties in the on-board charger and the dc/dc converter to B+, that final BMS wire taps there. I’ll get some pics up soon.

I’m going to mount the batteries with all-thread down through the batteries and battery tub below, secured with washers/nuts at each end. 4 per battery so 8 total. Probably overkill but I want to eliminate any twisting motion of the batteries relative to each other because of the bus bar. Combined with the angle aluminum base brackets it will be very secure. I also made a protective/decorative black diamond plate that will go over the top of the batteries and attach to the same all-thread with acorn nuts.
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote