View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #5
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Changing Ignition Switch for Rocker Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by broux2 View Post
Going through a 85 G1 that I picked up cheap. Wouldn’t start and a tracked it down to a badly corroded ignition switch. Looks like a cheap aftermarket ignition that doesn’t have a good sealing rubber boot. I opened and cleaned but it still has issues so I am going to try to change out for a rocker switch. Curious if anyone has done this.

PLan is to use a 7 Pin DPDT illuminated rocker. This should allow me to separate the ignition connections onto two circuits in the switch.
Circuit One: R wire connection to W/R in forward and W/G in reverse
Circuit Two: R/W and W connected together and those will connect to Y in forward and L(Light Blue) in reverse

The B will go to the ground pin to use for light illumination. The B/W will be left unhooked. This is the part I am unsure of but it looks like the stop switch will also ground out the CDI so should be good.

if im reading this right the black white wire is being left unhooked. this will leave the cart in "maintenance mode" and would only shut off with the switch. its not recommended to idle the G1 as it was not designed to do so and could over heat. at the very least i suggest using a cylinder head temp sensor if doing this

looking forward to the write up!
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote