View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Boiling Battery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by family cruizer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I own a multi-meter, but I am ashamed to say that I don't know how to use it. Heck, I do'nt know why I bought it. I will google up info on how to use it, or better yet, read the instruction manual.

I guess the reason the "boiling" stands out is that I raise the seat and flip the swith to "tow" mode for charging, and then leave the seat flipped up. I have never been around another cart like this. Tip - it keeps the dogs off of the seat.

There is no liquid of any kind on top of the batteries and I did not check to see if they were warm to the touch.

After sleeping on it I took it to the shop today, just to be on the safe side. I will monitor the batteries from now on.
Just curious why you would want to sleep on the cart before taking it to the shop.
Now on to the answers.........
It's a good idea to learn how to use your meter, it should be a digital meter, if it's not get one. They are less than $5 at Harbor Freight.
There is no need to switch to tow mode to charge your batteries, only if you are servicing them or leaving the cart sitting for long periods like a few weeks and of course towing.
Here's some battery tips:
Always charge your batteries after 15 minutes or more pedal time.
Try not to discharge the batteries less than 50% and never more than 80%.
Fill the battery cells only after you charge and never over fill, 1/4" above the plates is a good level.
Keep the tops of the batteries clean and dry. The batteries can be cleaned with a solution of 10% baking soda and water.
Keep all battery cables clean and tight. Make sure the cables are not corroded or have weak and worn out eye connectors.
Spray the cables with anti corrosive spray after they are clean and tight.
Here is a cutaway of what your batteries look like and the fill level.

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote