View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 project- need help

I guess I would set the valve lash iirc it is .004", then test compression and see where you are at. It might be tired or need a valve lap. Also turn it over by hand and watch the rockers, see that they both move as it opens the valves. If one only moves a little bit then the cam is bad and can cause it to puff out the carb. Could also check muffler make sure it is not plugged, though not common on G9 I have heard of it. Will cause backpressure like that. It may be somewhat normal a lot of small engines will revert intake a little when they stop since the cam is advanced from crank rotation or the crank turn backwards from compression before it stops.

Make sure you seal the rocker cover, if oil leaks out it goes down into the fins and fills them with dirt....it will run hot then.

Also try setting the carb so it idles really slow just faster than the gen turns it, fine tune the mixture when it is warmed up so it idles nice and smooth and slow (when pedal is just on). It should start better. It may work better yet to turn the idle mix out a little after that. I never use the choke in summer with mine set that way.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote