View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #6
Iflyasa
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newbie needing motor guidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Wheel (Rim) size is mostly cosmetic. When I say tire height, I mean tire's true vertical diameter when mounted on cart, inflated to max recommended inflation pressure embossed on the sidewall and measured with driver onboard. Measuring with a yardstick and level is close enough for most purposes, by for greater accuracy, measure the distance traveled from tire's BDC (Bottom Dead Center) to BDC for several tire rotations to get the average circumference and divide by Pi.

The tire size embossed on the sidewall is very, very approximate and can be off by an inch or more in either direction. IE: My tires are stamped 18X8.50-8 indicating they are 18" tall, but the distance from BDC to BDC after four revolutions is 214.125", so the have a dynamic diameter of 17.039526", which I round off to 17" unless I'm doing exacting stuff.

Doing 17MPH with 23" tires and a stock PDS controller may or may not be consistent with what the top speed ought to be. It depends on which performance chip is installed, if any. If the controller is in the All Terrain (Golf) or Steep Hill performance modes, the speed on stock height tires would be about 13.5 MPH, so with true 23" tires 17MPH would be about right.

All carts slow on inclines, but the taller the tires are, the more the cart slows going up hills.

With 23" road tires, a PDS cart with an Alltrax DCX or XCT controller might not do 25MPH with a 36V battery pack, but it will with a 42V pack or with a 48V pack.

The speeds listed on the D&D website are for motors installed EZGO PDS carts with a stock controller, a 36V battery pack and 18" tires. With 23" tires the speed would be about 28% faster mathematically, but won't be quite that fast due to the torque loss inherent in the incresaesd tire height.

Since you are looking for a consistent (cruising) speed of 25MPH, you will want a top speed a bit higher than that so you aren't running wide open all the time. To do that, you'll probably have to up the pack voltage to 42V or 48V.

Find out what the top speed is once you have the DCX600 installed and we can calculate how much the 23" tires are holding your cart back.
So I got the Alltrax 600 installed yesterday. I will take it out this afternoon. Even though it's a 600 amp controller, it came with a 400 amp fuse to go on the negative battery end. I'm confused???
Iflyasa is offline   Reply With Quote