View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
LDOGGYDIZZLE
Not Yet Wild

Default Steering slop 98 EZGO Gas

Hello!

First post and a 98 EZGO Gas owner as of last weekend.

Long story short. I bought a beautiful cart, painted a dark blue, nice and clean underneath, clean oil, spindle lift, 22" tires........ Perfect starter for the a-arm big block buggie I have in mind. So, as soon as I got home I drove it around the house and it was pretty obvious there was a problem with the steering. It would dart in any direction because theres about 3" of slop in the steering. There is no slop in any of the tie rods, ball joints etc. The steering wheel is tight. The hubs are fine.

Its the steering rack. Not only is there a mile of slop inside, the main pivot point for the arm has a ton of slop too. At high speed it will make the bravest man want to slow down as it darts to the left and you try to correct with 3" of steering wheel nothingness.

A complete replacment rack is pretty pricey unit.

My questions:

1) Do you guys agree? Past experiences? Solutions?

2) I noticed EZGO updated/revised the steering system in 2001.5. Looks like a much better unit, exactly like a car. I also noticed the Stretch A-arm kit for 2001 & up INCLUDES a steering rack.

The question is this:

Can I convert to the 2001 steering? Will I need anything else beside the Stretch kit? Is it worth it?
LDOGGYDIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote