View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 08:20 AM   #1
michaelg30534
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Gas Club Car Struggling up Hills

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and also new to owning a golf cart. I just bought a 1996 Club Car Carryall 2 with the Kawasaki fe290 engine a couple weeks ago. I got a good deal and it had been sitting off and on for the past 2 years according to the previous owner. It struggles a little bit to get the engine to start on take off, the starter will turn and turn but it doesn't engage the engine to take off until after a few seconds (8-10). Sometimes it will take right off if you just barely push the throttle, but its very finicky. I've read others have this issue on other threads on here.

However, that's not my major problem. My main issue is the cart will run real good on flat ground, around 14-15 mph which is how it should run stock. However, when you go to go up some hills the cart will make it about halfway and just start to die (drive belt stops turning). I've watched the belts going up hills and they look to transition back to where they should for hills and pulling, but the motor simply dies out, like the rpms die down to not turn the motor anymore. I made some adjustments with the carb thinking it was a fuel issue, but I just can't seem to find a sweet spot for pulling hills. I have made it up the hills some, but most of the time the engine just dies out going up it, especially with anything more than me on board. I put new belts on, and this definitely helped but it's still not doing right.

I'm just trying to figure out if this is fuel/carb related or something wrong with clutches. The clutches seem to be working like they should, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm just lost as to why the engine works great on flat land but the rpms drop and just dies out going up hills. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
michaelg30534 is offline   Reply With Quote