View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Starspa
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 muffler BBQ; Hot Pics!

The need of a muffler BBQ on a 2 cycle engine is directly related to the oil/gas mix ratio, along with the efficiency of combustion and the duration the motor is ran, which determines the mufflers temperature and ability to burn off the non-combusted fuel oils.

I know, we all know that so what's the problem.

We new-bees, or whatever you call us, haven't a clue about the importance of oil mixture and what it does to the muffler. Most of the seasoned Wild, 2 cycle, Buggy owners have plugged their oil pumps and use pre-mix. Sounds good, but there are still new dudes asking how to check to see if their oil pumps are working.

The problem is, just because the pump is working does not mean it is working properly. My pumps both worked, but I wanted to know what the actual ratio was that my motor was burning. By attaching clear tubing vertically to a board, one for gas and one for oil, I was able to determine exactly how much oil and gas the motor is burning.

I was surprised to find out that the ratio was 145:1 full throttle and 58:1 at as close to idle as possible; this was opposite of what I would have expected.

Too much oil, you plug your muffler; too little oil, you burn your motor. From what I have read on this site the consensus of the majority is about a 85:1 pre-mix. That is exactly what I have done, I feel better already!

I do like a pumps ability to provide a variable fuel mixture, determined by load and rpm's, but unless you test to see exactly what your pump provides, I would follow the recommendation of many; tie the tubes or cut the tubes; depending on the color of your cart of course!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil test2020.jpg (20.1 KB, 222 views)
Starspa is offline   Reply With Quote