View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #25
enfantterrible
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Centering new Precedent steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Once you reach the desired toe setting, Put the steering wheel on loosely. With a factory suspension, it will slide right on, in the top dead center 12" position and you won't need to adjust any further. However, with the imperfection of aftermarket lift kits you may have to adjust slightly on one side or the other. Let's say that the wheel is approximately 15 degrees to the right while the vehicle is going in a perfect straight line. This is where I try to explain to the guys at work how I use the "Chase the Wheel" method. You're actually wanting to force the tires in the direction of the steering wheel by adjusting the ball joints. If it's to the right, you'll run the passenger side rack shaft OUT OF the ball joint, and the driver side one INTO the ball joint. This will force both tires to turn RIGHT. Do this Equally in VERY small EVEN increments until the Top Dead Center steering wheel position is reached. Once it's there, Tighten her up and call it a night.
Thanks for this great guide. I've followed it up until the above part. I'm not quite sure what this means. I also have an after-market steering wheel, and the way it's built (with the adapter) makes it impossible to tweak. So I'm hoping to do what you've described above.
enfantterrible is offline   Reply With Quote