View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 2004 Club Car IC making weird sound

For some reason, my club car is making an odd sound. Basically, as soon as you flip the switch from tow to run, it makes a very faint sound like the motor is flopping around inside the can but not with enough force to move the cart.

The cart has the original motor and solenoid, but has an alltrax 400 ic controller and 4 ga wires. The motor was something like a 3.2 or 3.4 hp service grade motor setup for high speed (around 19mph) before controller and now with controller it seems to run closer to mid 20's.

Also, with new controller installed, the down hill regen feature doesn't slow the cart down so it gets a little faster down hill.

Any ideas what could be causing the sound or what to check? My first thought was that the rubber flooring was keeping the gas peddle pushed a hair forward, but checking that reveals it not to be the case. The sound is similar to the noise you would hear when you tap the gas peddle about a hair but don't actually give it enough juice to move.

I'm thinking maybe the internal structure of the motor is trying to turn or something, but don't know if that means the motor is at issue, the solenoid could be at issue, or the potentiometer could be at issue.

Any thoughts appreciated as I hate to pay $125 to have the local dealer pick it up to look at it. Thanks.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote