View Single Post
Old 04-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Default Re: fe290 spitting gas out of carb

OK, took off the carb and thoroughly cleaned it this time, float and needle valve seem to be working fine now (can't blow through the gas nipple with it upside down, easily right side up) but I have a new weird problem.
When I went to start it, the corrugated rubber air intake hose from the air box to the carb inlet was contracting closed with each rpm of the engine as it was trying to start (being sucked closed). I took the hose off the carb intake and a large amount of gas spilled out. Opening up the air box to look at the filter, it was soaked with gas and there was a puddle inside the box. I could start and run the engine but no gas came out of the carb intake. After drying out the box and the filter and hooking it all up again, the same thing happened, the hose and the box partially filled up with gas and the filter was soaked. Again, without the hose on, the engine runs fine and no gas comes out of the carb intake. The engine now smokes a little and on checking the oil, the level is a little high, at the "L" mark on Full above the 4 perforations in the dipstick, probably a half inch higher than normal. The oil doesn't smell like gas but I assume there may be some gas in it when my float needle wasn't seating properly and that is the reason for the smoke. But can this also cause the gas coming out the carb intake when all is reattached and fill up the box and filter again? Probably the gas come out when the engine was rotating and before it started? I don't see that happening when I try to start the engine with the hose off the carb. And there should be suction on that hose, not positive pressure coming out of the carb. No gas comes running out of there when the cart just sits and no gas comes squirting out of the overflow nipple any more so this is confusing to me, and I assume my float needle valve is working fine now.
And how do you get the top of the airbox off? I can open it to remove the filter and wipe out the gas but there is no room to fully raise the top to release the hinge mechanism on the outboard end. Any tricks?
Next up is to change the oil, maybe the other problems will go away when I get the level back to normal.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote