View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Which Way To Go?

First of all, let me apologize in advance for the length of this post. You may want to wait until you’re bored and have nothing better to do before reading it, and it is kind of confusing and wandering so please bear with me…

GOAL - GO 35 - 40 MPH ON LEVEL STREETS AND MINIMUM 25 - 30 MPH UPHILL WITH BOTH CARTS

MY CURRENT CARTS:

Club Car DS Humdinger (street legal) -
Navitas 600A 5kw AC system • 48v • 26" tires
Eventually, I am thinking about installing a 72V lithium battery so that it will have more power pushing the 26-inch tires, as I want to be able to maintain at least 35 mph on level roads and not lose too much speed going uphill.

2014 Club Car Precedent (street legal) -
Altrax XCT500 • 48v • PQ Executioner motor • 23" tires
I used to have a RoyPow 48V lithium battery that I really enjoyed as it added a lot of response and mileage. However, I ended up selling it as it kept shutting down going up long hills due to exceeding the max discharge rate.

I am considering waiting until January when my RoyPow dealer will have a “P” version 48V lithium battery that will have a higher max discharge rate that MIGHT allow me to go up long hills without it shutting down. I am also considering an Extreme Team lithium battery but I have serious doubts that they will be able to survive their growing pains.

Or, I may sell my Alltrax and Executioner and switch to a Navitas system so that I might eventually go with a 72V lithium battery in this cart as well. However, money is always a factor so I can’t do everything at once.

So now, onto my questions…

DS HUMDINGER -
I am pretty happy with the Navitas and can eventually reach 35 mph on level ground, but need more power to turn the 26-inch tires. Will switching to a 72V pack provide the power I’m looking for to reach my goal?

PRECEDENT -
Would it be better to keep my Alltrax and Executioner and install a 48V lithium with a higher max discharge rate, or switch to a Navitas AC system and run a 48V pack of FLA batteries, or possibly a 72V pack of FLA batteries? If going to 72V, I would also have to factor in the cost of a new charger and a 72V to 12V converter.

I believe I read that an AC system uses less current than a DC system. Do you know if it is a big difference? Would I be able to run a lower Max Discharge Rate on a lithium battery if I were using an AC system?

There are just too many options and too many ways to go. I think I am getting "paralysis by analysis", as I can't decide what to do. What do you guys think or recommend?

THANK YOU for any advice or recommendations!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HHR2.jpg (659.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Hudson in the cart 2.jpg (728.4 KB, 0 views)
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote