View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
nowashburn
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 governor question

Hi all! I have a gas yamaha g2 that I have as a side hobby / play machine. First let me state that I am far from a mechanic but have been having plenty of fun working on and learning on this cart. First I put on a lift kit and tires and that went smoothly. Took me all day Saturday and had a lot of fun doing it. So, after driving it around for a while I came across the Yamaha speed spring. Sounded easy and had great reviews, so why not give it a whirl?

here it is:
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-speed-spring.html

It took me about an hour to actually put it on but I eventually completed the task. First thing I noticed was that the gov assembly didn't seem to spring back as quickly as it did with the stock spring. Since I don't have another cart to compare it to and I wasn't 100% sure how tight the spring back action was to begin with, I decided to take it for a test spin. I def noticed a huge gain in top end speed and was pretty excited. Then, my throttle cable snapped!

I just ordered a new cable and would like to put it on but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions so I don't repeat what happened the first time again. Most importantly:

1. With the speed spring on, how far should I tighten the bolt for top speed?
2. Are there any other cable adjustments I should make when using the speed spring?

I'm also not sure if the throttle cable was in bad shape before doing this since the cart is old.

Any input / advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

- eric
nowashburn is offline   Reply With Quote