View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 TXT DCS with Alltrax, no go. 5 Red in REVERSE (shudder backwards in FWD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourflorida View Post
Update...

Cleaned motor, inspected the S1/S2 cables.
Tested OHM again, and now I show a solid 2ohm....

Back to the starting point.

FWD - Green solid. Hit Accel and wheels run reverse (lifted now).
REV - 5 flash RED. Do not even have to hit the Accel

Help me understand the FIELD circuit: the controller provides juice to the coil (S1 - S2) to establish direction?

If that is the case, will the motor go wrong direction if S1/S2 are swapped?

Is there any value to attaching laptop and poking around in the controller software?

(I have an older '92 model with original controller/motor. Does that help any? )
The field circuit does four things.
1. Forward
2. Reverse
3. Dynamically alters motor's torque-speed curve
4. Part of regen braking process

A sepex controller is actually three controllers in one box. One high amp controller for the Armature and two low amp controllers for the Field. The output of both low amp (Field) controllers are connected to the same output terminals on the controller, The two low amp controllers are more or less mirror images, one make F1(S1) positive and F1(S2) negative, while the polarities of the output of other low amp controller is the opposite.

Since your cart runs when Forward is selected and you get an Open Field error in Reverse, the reverse low amp controller section is very likely blown.

----------
Typically, if the Armature current and Field current are in phase, the motor spins CW, if they are out of phase, the motor spins CCW. (See attached)

Yes, switching the S1 & S2 cables with make the cart go in the opposite direction it is now.

---------
If you already have the laptop and needed cable(s), taking a look wouldn't hurt, but if one of the low amp field controller portions is bad, the whole controller is bad, it isn't going to fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor direction.jpg (62.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote