View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Battle of the Clones Dyno run write-up (surprising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffw View Post
With regards to bang for buck, a 420 clone with the following mods will make 20-22hp and doesnt need a billet rod:

-Timing Key
-Ported & Milled Head
-28-32mm ATV/Motocycle Carb
-Header & Free Flowing Exhaust
-HD ValveSprings

Can be done for $400 including the engine.

-Geoff
I'm just missing the carb, except I paid 120 to get the head done....really nice job too, likely too nice for what it is. Will have to be more descriptive next time. And if I get a pumper I found one for about 80. It might work better if I put a long manifold on it to have a pumper, too busy to get on that project yet. Found some 409ss plates to make flanges with though.

I know, this whole flywheel thing is such a pain. The kart guys swear the stocker is tnt if you hit 6K rpm, then again they are rubbing elbows with them....literally. Mine has a big screw (epoxied) in the center of the magnet, it is the magnet that knocks the coil off not the flywheel failing itself. And some of these issues are from early clones that were fixed long ago, so hard to know if it is an issue now or not. I don't need to go over 6 anyway, really I don't want to lose power at 2500+ and assume a cam is only going to cover so many rpm anyway. To keep the pedal start and all that on this cart I can't go wild, other family members use it as well.

Aside from the starting issues I don't think light weight is going to help that much with a CVT. It mostly helps acceleration and with a cvt that does not happen much. I'm stuck with the stock wheel until an answer comes along. Right it makes it start even harder on top of that. I do know other wheels (like from the animal) can easily be machined to the taper and used on the BB clones, but what one would have the weight and run a starter anyway. You can hunt down a honda wheel supposedly they are better, but how much better I don't know.

Should be able to use a plain old ford truck solenoid if its just a solenoid and not the bendix as well. They are running my snow plow for a few years so far lol.

Some of this stuff is getting figured out so more people can use clones, but taking forever. We need a high torque starter slash alternator to bolt on it...that would be the ticket. It just looked like too much hassle to go big with the motor for this cart, it can't fit the needs I have for it. I'll keep trying to get the most out of it though.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote