View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #37
MPS1982
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Wiring to eliminate reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
Pretty cool. I worked at a company that had a small foundry many years ago. We did use sand casting, but had perminate molds that had to be packed in halves. I helped sometimes. It was interesting and rewording work, but it was a lot of work.

As far as machining, I can't see "no machining" on that part, but I have no experience with that kind of casting. We did make shinny parts, but not accurate enough to press bearings in. I'm thinking you will need to have a outside lip to tuck in to the motor and a bearing race accurate in the center.

The only reason we cast anything was because some of the parts would have cost to much to cut from billet. Example, it would require a 50 lb. billet to make a 7 lb. part. The rest would be a pile of chips. In your case, you could make that part with very little waste on a lathe.

I'm not trying to stop you. On the contrary, you've really got my interest. Please take lots of pics. This is a project I might take up. When I was a kid, some guy in my naighberhood made an electric mini bike. He used a 12V starter. I think he had to put bearings in it. (Instead of bushings) he had one big car battery. I don't know what he used for a controller. (Maybe it didn't have one)
If I had a lathe, I'd be on my way but I don't really have a good space for that kind of machinery. Also, I think a block of aluminum that size would be rather expensive, no? If you get bored, look up YouTube videos of people casting with aluminum. The detail they are getting leads me to believe that with the right procedure, I can get machine-free parts. The bearing will only have a light interference fit, and will be held in place with a retaining ring. In theory.
MPS1982 is offline   Reply With Quote