View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: just got an 85 gas marathon

OOPS - while I was posting, you posted - and if you had one big backfire then almost no power afterwards that doesn't sound like a throttle issue at all, sounds like either a blown crank seal or ???

First and foremost, before I did ANYTHING I'd take 10 minutes to check the seals, jack up the carts rear wheels (so it doesn't take off on you) and while turning it over, have someone spray some carb cleaner or WD40 (a good steady shot) at the crankshaft right where it exits the rear of the motor (between the rear of the engine and the front of the clutch) ... Does the engine change RPM's or pop, if so your rear seal blew out when you had that backfire. If not, do the same thing only this time spray the carb cleaner / WD40 in the front of the engine (the fan opening) and same deal, if it changes rpm, pops, etc then the front seal was blown ...

Try those tests first, and if they come out OK (meaning no change at either the front or rear while spraying the carb cleaner) then we'll look at a few other tests to find out what may be causing the sudden power loss - keep us posted (no pun intended)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote