View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 36v marathon HOT battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmartin2001 View Post
I have purchased a new 6v battery, replaced cables with 4g. Replaced brushes. Now I hear a slight drag or hissing sound from the motor. I'm not sure if it just the new brushes or if I messed something up. It lasted about 45 seconds before it was crawling. I checked voltage and 1 battery is 4.4 and the rest are 6.3-6.5. And the jump wire from battery 1 to 2 is warm. And battery smells like rotten eggs. Battery 2 is also the 4.4 battery
Battery #2 should not be 4.4v. It's past it's useful life but it has given you what you asked. You were initially wanting to see if there was some major issue before repairing the cart. Now you know the cart works but the battery pack is shot. my guess for the buzzing noise is your brushes aren't seated yet. How bad was the commuter? Was it gouged deeply? If it wasn't too bad they'll seat themselves after a bit of use.

You said you wanted to throw a couple hundred at it per week so what you'd need to do is replace one battery each week until all 6 are new. You already have a head start with some of the 6V batteries you already purchased. Ideally you'd buy all of them at once but I understand we don't live in an ideal world...

That one cable between battery 1 and 2 is faulty or the connection is bad. Did you replace all the cables or just the ones to the new battery? If it's a new cable check to make sure the ends are bolted in tightly. Not too tight... I thought the spec was 20 or so INCH pounds, not foot pounds. Don't tighten the nuts on the battery post too hard, they're just bolts in lead so you can damage the lead and cause a hot spot which can melt the battery post. I use a quarter-inch ratchet to tighten mine when I still had lead acid batteries.

I re-read your post and the initial post said you wanted 4 to 5 hours of drive time. The pack will never give you 4+ hours of time in motion, but if you meant ride for 10 mins, stop at the store, ride for 10 mins, stop somewhere else, then you can have a 4 or 5 hour day with only an hour or 90 minutes of actual driving time in a 15 to 20 mile route. That is absolutely achievable.

bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote