View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 PM   #20
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Default Re: Refurbished golf cart batteries?

Well I maybe new to the forum and cart modification, but I do know a fair amount about battery technology, I design a lot of 48 and 24 volt battery plants for telephone companies, we use the same batteries you use in carts.

There two types of battery degradtion. One is corrosion on the grids of the positive plates. IT is normal and not reversible. It is what will kill the battery. When the positive plate is dissolved, it is over. The process is accelerated by charging constantly at higher voltages. Gives good capacity performance, but shortens the life.

The other problem is sulfation which is reversible. It is caused by lower charging voltages which extends battery life, but like I said it is completely reversible. Now with that said Epsom Salt folks is not the answer, that is crazy.

Sulfation is reversed with an EQUALIZATION charge. Which means charged at a higher voltage once the battery is fully charged.

For Trojan 36 volt systems an EQ charge is 46.5, and for 48 volt systems it is 62 volts. Duration is for an hour or two while closely monitoring water level and specific gravity The Trojan Web site will tell you how often and when to do it. Follow the directions very closely, and do it on cool days.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote