View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Re: Voltage Reducer v. Aux Battery

Like Swan says - either will work for you. I have the same cart as you and chose the aux battery. I'll post the pros and cons from my perspective but others will have different opinions.

Reducer Pros: No extra battery needed, draws off battery pack evenly while providing the proper voltage for accessories.

Reducer Cons: draws off battery pack reducing available juice to cart, needs to be able to be switched on or off so doesn't have 48v going to it when sitting as there have been stories of reducers burning down carts that were left alone. When turned off, can't provide constant low-amp power to radio to maintain presets and other settings.

Aux battery Pros: Gives dedicated 12v to power accessories independently from cart pack. Source of constant power so radio settings stay memorized.

Aux battery Cons: Finding somewhere to mount it, maintaining/charging

If you have 4 12v batteries in your 06 Precedent, as I do, you won't find a battery that will fit anywhere under the seat. Some use a scooter battery in the dash area. My cart, with a rear seat, created dead space in the bagwell under the seat, so I was able to fit a full size marine battery there and wired it directly to the controller so that my 12v source wiring behind the dash didn't have to be touched.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote