View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #81
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Alignment Idiot Award - I Deserve It

With warmer weather this past weekend I was able to do a little more work.

My attempt to align the front tires did not go well due to operator error. I am admitting this hoping it helps someone else.

I marked and measured the center of the back and front tires and adjusted the tie rod ends. In no time, I had those poor tires screwed up so badly. I had a senior moment and forgot that "clockwise" was not the same direction on each tie rod. I tried to correct it but it was too much of a mess. I decided to start all over.

I removed the tie rod ends and set the tires straight using ..... well, various things including a string around the rear tires to the front of each side tied off to jack stands.... a perfect 5' 90 degree jig I made..... and even resorting to caulked lines on my garage floor after measuring off the known 90 degree corners of my garage door opening. I know it was overkill but I wanted to be sure I was starting the tires in as straight a line as possible. They were.

With the steering wheel straight the tie rods were turned - 1 bellow was shorter than the other. I had to turn the steering wheel about 90 degrees to the right to get the tie rods even on each side.

I adjusted both tie rod ends equally and they aligned perfectly with the spindles.

I rechecked the camber and it was perfect.

I reconnected the tie rod ends and rechecked the camber. It was still perfect.

I measured the back and front center from tire to tire and the distance was exactly the same. I had to make only a slight adjustment to turn the front in 1/8 inch. I tightened the lock nuts on the tie rods.

I backed the cart in and out of the garage several times and rechecked the toe in. It was holding. I torqued the nuts, remeasured the toe in and it was still good.

Did I do all of this correctly??

Now I have the problem of the steering wheel. First, I will try to remove it and turn it 90 degrees.

If that doesn't work I'll do as Cartmaster told me and remove the tip off of the lower steering column so I can rotate it.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote