View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #24
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Alignment Idiot Award - I Deserve It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
If your model has the same steering as the 2015/17 models we have at the golf course then the ball joint and arm is replaceable. I keep a few in stock for this reason and they are also easily bent in a collision. Its not a difficult job either and i am sure you could manage it. Best to to remove the rack and do it on the bench.
In my reply to ThreeCW I said my steering assembly was made by Sona because there was no name stamped on the bellows. However, this morning I was looking at some photos I took of the front-end and was able to see a enough letters spelling out Mando! So, it is serviceable and as you said I will be able to replace the ball joint and arm. I'll give it my best shot!

I've never had any sort of collision or bumped into anything but that doesn't matter since I will go ahead and replace both tie rods to eliminate those being an issue.

Quote:
Also again if your suspension etc is the same as ours, check the a arms are perfect and not bent at all, also check the clevis (lower shock mount) on top of the king pin as they also easily bend but it cant really be seen without taking them off and placing on a flat surface. Look for doming/crowning around where the king pin thread goes through. One other part that gives tracking and other issues is the steering arms on the spindles themselves. If these are bent upward (common after a front end bump) then it puts the alignment out a fair bit and causes different amounts of thread on the track arms to be obvious. any one of these things can cause either track or camber or both to be out.
I did look closely at the A-arms when I took them out to replace the bushings. No bends, stress marks or even scratches. They were perfect.

I had read about the clevis causing this problem so I ordered new ones to eliminate that as the problem. Actually, my old ones looked okay but I replaced them anyway.

I did not see any problem with the left spindle when I had it on the bench but I think I'll go ahead and replace it anyway since I may be missing something and it's such an important part.

Quote:
All the bushes in the a arm, and spring etc need to be good too. I recall you mentioning bushes and some have been replaced, but not all.
I replaced them all except the two metal bushing in the left spindle. I only ordered 2, rather than 4. I replaced on the right side.
When I order the new left spindle that will be taken care of.

Quote:
A good sign to watch for is when you set the track rod ends to equal lengths and put the wheels straight, your steering wheel should be centred. If not, something is bent or worn.
I had read this before, I think by you in an old post, and this is exactly what I did. Great advice!! I removed tie rods from the spindle; straightened the wheels by hand and steering wheel was centered. I put the tie rod ends back on 1/2 inch; then had to screw the right about 4 more turns IN until it lined up with the hole in the spindle. BUT, I had to turn the left end OUT about 3 turns to line up with the hole.

Odd thing was when I was tightening up the bolts on tie rod I had to fight with the left side. It was very difficult to hold the top nut in place while tightening the bottom bolt. If my top wrench slipped one tiny bit it made the steering wheel turn. This must be because of the bad tie rod on the left??

Since I can find nothing else that is bent, it must be the spindle causing the problem along with the tie rod? Did I understand all this correctly??
Are you exhausted after reading all this???

Quote:
I hope this helps somewhat.
Tremendously helpful!!! Thank you so very much.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote