Thread: FE290 Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: FE290 Rebuild

There shouldn't be any knocks when it's done. Knocking is excessive clearance, which should be corrected during any true rebuild. You can put rings in the thing yourself, it sounds like that's all they're gonna do.

Knocking can be many things. excessive piston skirt wear, resulting in piston slap. Wear on the counter balance shaft. Wear on the counter balance link rods. Wear in the connecting rod. Wear in the wrist pin. Wear in the camshaft or tappets which lift the pushrods for the valves. Not that all of that will be replaced during the course of a normal rebuild, but all of those clearances should be measured to check for wear, and anything that's worn beyond the normal service limits should be replaced.
Bearings in these hardly ever fail. The main bearings are open cage ball bearings which have very long service life unless the engine has been run completely out of oil.
Wear of the link rod bearings for the balance block are probably the most common reason for a knocking sound since those have the least amount of bearing surface. Those bearings can be replaced on the 290s, and it would be stupid not to. If the dealer doesn't do that, they're setting an engine up for spectacular failure in the not so distant future.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote