View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Bob @ Allis Barn
Not Yet Wild

Default Hard Starting 1989 2 stroke EZGO

Trying to save this old EZGO which I got at a good price (free)! Trying to check out major systems and decide if it is a parts cart, or it can be salvaged.

Currently trying to resolve why it is a very hard starter. It is a late 89 model based on wiring at voltage regulator.

Facts as I know them are;[LIST]
[*]Compression is 125 psig.[*]Oil injection removed and port plugged in the intake manifold. New 128:1 gas/ oil mixture. Using a gravity feed fuel tank. Not using fuel pumping for testing.[*]Carb has been clean several times. Gas/oil mix is getting into cylinder since the plug is wet after a failed attempt to start.[*]Starter generator turns over engine at good speed ( based with my experience with a 4 stroke Club Car).[*]Ignition coil resistance measurement match with the values given in service manual.[*]Wiring and grounding checked for good connections and good conductivity.[*]Spark observed when plug is out of head and lying on top of it. Also inductive time light flashes when used on plug wire.[*]When spark plug is screwed into the head and attempt made to start engine, the inductive timing light does not flash and the engine does not start.[*]However if the engine does start the timing light flashes strongly.[*]The resistance across the pulser is 144 ohms. Service manual says it should be 75 ohms.

Recommendations? ------ Pull pulser unit? Any other tests I can run on the pulser to determine if it is failing intermittently? Or will a conversion to a HEI ignitor provide a strong spark when plug is in the head?

Thanks
Bob
Bob @ Allis Barn is offline   Reply With Quote