View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
kellyron500
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: FE290 Engine Rebuild - Too tight to Turn Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcarjeff View Post
The bearing should be pretty flush. For your next build, after you remove the clutch for engine disassembly, emery cloth the crankshaft between the seal and where the clutch was. Lube it and the crankcase cover comes off alot easier. The bearing WILL occasionally stay on the crank due to the cover expanding and contracting thru the years. Upon final assembly, add some loctite to the area in the cover before tapping in. I usually use blue loctite, however I believe they make loctite specifically for bearing seats. While assembling the engine, things happen and sometimes you need to back the cover off. Adding loctite prevents the bearing from sliding out of the cover.
I've never had to use a press to seat the bearing and would be hesitant to because the cover is soft. Usually a mallet will do. Preferably a bearing installation tool of the correct size or a really big socket that sits on the outer race. Always install a new crank seal as well. Good luck...
Thank you sir...I like the Emory cloth idea...very nice.

Well, she is up and purring like a big cat...not sure what it was...pulled it, tore it down, cleaned all, pulled out of the old clutch side oil seal, tapped out the bearing and replaced (old bearing still seemed great...and put new oil seal in too) and put it back together.

Nothing hung and she turned over by hand during the whole rebuild. Maybe the old bearings were bad but only showed it after the cover, clutch and flywheel were put back on.

Who knows....Regardless, thanks all for the outlet.
kellyron500 is offline   Reply With Quote