View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Turn Signals, Electronic Flashers, and a pilot light

I came across a little problem and a solution, I hope this helps someone out if they run into the same problem. There's no rocket science here, but it is a solution.

Here's the background: I installed a turn signal switch on my cart. I used a $28, generic golf cart turn signal level (from Amazon-dot-com), and decided to use an all-electronic flasher (because I use LED turn lights and brake lights on my cart). You may know that "standard" thermal flashers don't always work well with LEDs due to their much lower current draw. The turn signal switch I bought has a single built-in light just at the base of the lever. It's used as an indicator that your turn signals are on.

Here's the problem: Standard thermal flashers have 3 pins. (1) Battery, (2) Load, (3) P - pilot light. However electronic flashers, like the EP35, are different. They have three pins but they are different: (1) Battery +, (2) Battery -, (3) Load. So if you hook up the pilot light of the turn signal to the load pin, it will activate the flasher just like any of the turn signal lamps do. How do you hook up the pilot light? Sure, you probably don't need it. But if you're anal and like everything to work... or just simply like more blinking lights... here's one solution.

One Solution: You can add two 45-cent diodes to the circuit. This creates an "OR" array that so you can connect your pilot light to both front lamps. The pilot light will be powered by the left lamp "OR" the right lamp whichever is activated. The diodes will prevent the lamp, opposite to the one that is blinking, from also blinking when it should not be.

Remember, for this built-in pilot light to work you must ground the case of the turn signal lever.

There is a drawing and schematic attached below. I hope this helps someone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Turn signal.pdf (16.73 MB, 13 views)
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote