Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Canine_Rescue_Pilot
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Turn Signals, Electronic Flashers, and a pilot light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I have to toss a RED FLAG on this idea.

For safety reasons. NEVER ground the frame of an electrical golf cart, either directly, or as in this case, indirectly.

High current cables and terminals are in close proximity to the frame and all of them only need a return path to complete a current loop.
The arc could blind you, the white hot pieces of metal the used to be a wrench will burn you and so will the sulfuric acid ejected from the exploding batteries.

Why not just power the pilot light from the "L" terminal on the solid state flasher and connect a wire from B- to the second wire on the pilot light?
Easy there, Trigger. Before you throw up the red Flag. You're right. You never ground a cart chassis. However I did not suggest you should ground the chassis of the cart.

You will, however, need to ground the turn signal lever for the pilot light to work. What I failed to print, is that you isolate the case from the steering column. I did this using a wrap of rubber. It also served a dual purpose because it keeps the lever assembly from swiveling with too much force.

You cannot simply wire the pilot light to the "L" (load) terminal of the flasher. These electronic flashers activate when they sense a slight current draw on the "L" terminal. And since the built-in pilot light is not switched (by factory design) when the lever is in the center-off position, it will draw current and cause the flasher to activate when the lever is in center position.

If you use an electronic flasher, and you must have the pilot light, this is the only way to do it with this type of lever switch assembly.

Johnnie - Thank you for pointing out that I failed to note the ground isolation of the lever assembly from the steering column. This "idea" is currently in operation. I would never post something I have not actually done.
Canine_Rescue_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote