View Single Post
Old 10-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
Justinh722
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1986 Marathon. No power unless muffler removed

I just built the muffler last night and welded the 1 1/4” pipe with the old flange through the hole I made in the muffler outer core and the inner baffle. I then tack welded a 3/4” tailpipe about the same length as the old muffler. It has more flow than the broken one and sounds decent aside from the leak around the tacked on tail pipe. I chose to tack it in case I wanted to remove it and go with a 1 inch pipe. But if the stock muffler is 1 1/4” through the core and 3/4 coming out and it’s supposed to run normally, then I have a different issue as it still doesn’t have any acceleration even with a new muffler. Just strange how it runs great and can build rpm quickly and fast without the muffler. It still has the noise when running it in forward. I’m completely stumped.

I have way too much time in this owners cart. New crank seals and new carb and new fuel pump and lines…compression is good. New air filter and fuel filter. Pulsar and ignition coil all test fine. My only other option is to remove the engine again and tear it down and check everything. She doesn’t like to spend money so it becomes an issue when I have to try and repair it at little cost the way it is.
Justinh722 is offline   Reply With Quote