Thread: Speedy Seniors?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cool Speedy Seniors?

Ok, by now you know that I am a newbie on here and have asked a few questions regarding tweaking a bit of speed from my 1997 Club Car DS. I received this old thing FREE as part of a home purchase in Florida. The rear tires are bald and there are a few chips and scrapes on the body. I noticed that everywhere we take the cart, some old senior runs up behind us or passes us, even though I am flooring it. Well, yesterday I took the cart out with my wife in it, holding our GPS to check the speed. I figured that I would get a "before" reading on it prior to changing the controller to a 400 amp and the wiring to 4gauge. I also have a pair of 22" rear tires and offset wheels, but will use rear shackles to raise it enough to clear the rubber. But, I digress. Using the GPS, we found that this thing travels on a flat surface at an average of 19mph. Since the local seniors seem to run me over, I had assumed I was moving at about 6-8mph. If I am traveling at 19mph, then that means they are really hauling it.

Today, I will be installing an analogue battery meter. If I have time, I will install a Curtis 400amp controller. I am waiting for my new wire set and will replace the existing 6 gauge battery wires. It appears that someone has done something to speed this thing up, because I am not sure that the stock DS would move at this speed. I believe someone told me that the motor had been replaced. It now has a D377.

I haven't changed the wheels yet, because my lift and stands are back in NC. We just recently moved here and I hardly have any tools to work with. I will have to borrow some jack stands from someone.

I can't allow these seniors to run me over. It just ain't right.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote