View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
junior1954
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16a Hard Start and Stall

Hello all.
I've been experiencing hard starting (motor turns over slowly) and intermittent loss of spark when I'm driving just after I take my foot completely off the gas pedal and then push to accelerate. While it's dying, if I turn the ignition off then on, it will run fine until the gas pedal switch is tripped again. I've jumped the positive cable on the solenoid (bypassing the solenoid) and also to the red/white wire on the solenoid and the engine turns over just fine, eliminating the solenoid and starter generator. I then measured voltage across the red/white to black on the top of the solenoid and noticed a significant voltage drop while stepping on the gas pedal to crank and you can hear the reverse beeper loose voltage (headlights are bright during cranking). When I measured the voltage from red/white (pos) to battery ground, there was no drop.I checked out the wiring schematic and figured it was either the start/stop relay (since it controls both starter solenoid and ignition and is also in the reverse beeper's circuit) or a bad ground. The connections at the battery, starter and solenoid are clean and tight and the battery is brand new and fully charged. I also just rebuilt the starter/generator and it's working fine. I've ordered a new start/stop relay. My question is this: the schematic indicates two grounds, engine and body, and **** my eyes, I can't find 'em! Can anyone tell me where they're at?
junior1954 is offline   Reply With Quote