Thread: Battery info
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #64
Wake_rider
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery info

You were both spot on. After I wrote my post last night, it clicked as to what mistake I had made. The guy that owned the cart before me had wired in 3 12v car batteries which made the wiring look odd. I realized last night that he had doubled back the negative wire from the charging port inside the wiring harness, so I just split it open and took it back to the correct location for the 6-6v setup.

My concern now is that the first three batteries that were correctly charging are getting a significant overcharge as the other three that were out of the charging loop get caught up. We will see when I get home from work tonight.

Thank you both for the input!

ps- for the battery posts, I changed them over to wingnuts so I can quick disconnect if needed on the trail/course. I also want to disconnect the negative as an additional cheap level of theft protection when it's on the trailer. I just snug them up finger tight but don't go crazy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
I think you need to connect the ground wire from the charge port to the negative post of the last battery in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Welcome to BGW,

Here is a diagram how you should be wired. All 6 batteries should be wired together in series as shown below.

Run a longer wire to the "Main -" of the 6th battery to connect all 6 batteries of your pack to your charger. As connected now, you are only charging the first 4 batteries.

The charging wires should be connected to the "Main +" and to the "Main -" (battery 1 and battery 6). Make sure your higher amperage cables are in direct contact with the lead base of the battery terminal terminal studs and the lower amperage charging cables are above the high amp cables. This will reduce resistance in the connection and avoid heat buildup. Also note the torque on the Trojan stud connections is 95 - 105 INCH Pounds ... which is only 8 to 8.8 Ft - Pounds ... not very much torque. Over torqueing these connections can result in the studs loosening from the lead posts, which results to an increase in resistance, leading to increased heat which can result in melted battery posts ... it happens often if post connections are over torqued so use care.

Also find attached a state of charge chart for your reference which you can use to convert your battery voltages to a State of Charge percentage. You can see that those batteries at 6.03 volts are only at a 50% state of charge.
Wake_rider is offline   Reply With Quote