View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DIY Lithium Conversion

The batteries are 47 Amp Hour (when new) Chevy Volt modules. If you are reading this you probably already know that the Amp Hours on a lithium battery have a far greater % than can be actually used without damaging the battery when compared to lead acid. I did end up later doubling the capacity as I need to pull a float in a parade with this cart and I don't think 47AH is enough for that.

I went with the Chevy Volt modules for a few reasons.
#1 is that in the Chevy Volt, they never fully charge nor discharge the cells. Fully charging them and fully discharging them stresses and ages the batteries so in theory a 3 year old Chevy Volt battery pack should be aged less than a comparable lithium battery pack of the same age from a different manufacturer.
#2 is Chevy Volt cells are cheaper and about the right dimensions right off the start.

The cells are harder to work with if you want over 48v, which is a BIG part as to why they are cheaper. But I did a 36v lithium conversion last night and it was the easiest mod I've ever done (more on that later).
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote