View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #37
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1983 EZGO rarely start?? Need help....

While we are waiting for parts, let's discuss the 3 sets of bearings on the crankshaft.
My engine was sitting about the same way as yours. My bearings, piston, and rings were all in great shape.
I cleaned everything up, replaced the seals, and gaskets, then put it all back together.

It fired right up, and ran great for a day or so. As I was riding, it just stopped dead. The engine was seized.

I took it apart AGAIN, split the cases, and found that something got into the lower end, and destroyed one bearing. When that bearing came apart, it pushed the next bearing up against the crankshaft lobe really tight. That's why it locked up.

I took the crankshaft to work. There we were, three highly skilled airline mechanics with top of the line tools, and a world class machine shop at our disposal, struggling with getting that bearing race from against the crankshaft lobe. It took us an hour to finally get it off without doing any damage.

I'm telling you this so that you understand how important it is to make sure nothing gets into the lower end. It's especially important if you don't have access to those kinds of resources.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote