View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: '93 G9 Gas - barely runs after after electrical issue

The older 2 stroke G1 ran in both directions, if a 4 stroke I think but not positive they are the same. Is it running or just the generator spinning the engine? If wired wrong it will spin the wrong way, but of course it would not run at all.

The ignitor on a G9 is on the lower front of the gas tank with the larger plug into the bottom of it, black plastic box. The pickup is under the flywheel. IIRC the wiring for a G9 is posted here on the forum. In short the 12v goes to the key and pedal switch, then to both ignitor and the generator to start it. The small wires on the generator are for charging and go to voltage reg on left fender well next to fuses.

Spark and gas, it should run. These carts have relatively few problems excepting wiring issues. The seal on top of airbox yes, but it should still start and idle. If that is off it can foul the plug and the plug will still look good. Do you have a spark tester? Anything is possible but not heard of flywheel key issues. Have heard of bad wires on the pickup where it comes out of block, ignitors go bad once in a great while, as might a coil or pickup, in general they don't.

If you think it could be gas all you have to do is pull the line on the pump to carb, it should shoot out cranking. Clean the carb just spray the passages with carb clean. Idle mix 1.5 (stock) to 2 turns out. Set idle speed so it barely idles above starter speed. If needed pull the floor panel at pedals and set throttle cable so it idles without moving throttle at carb, though that is usually only a problem from private owners.

Backfire could be fouled plug from air or fuel issue, wiring issue, or maybe something else. Grounds you should be able to follow from the battery, just check connections or test. Mine has a couple of small wires have new connectors near the starter solenoid, I forget what they are for. Check the ground wire on the coil. I'd grab a spark tester, though a bad plug can show good. Another trick is to pull the plug boot part way off so it jumps inside there a little, and it will make the spark stronger to a bad plug and sometimes make it run if thats the issue. If it was out and you just put a little gas in it, it takes a while to pump the fuel up. If you fill it up it will start pretty fast from dry tank.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote