View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
kuntrywelder
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Golf Cart/Bicycle Hybrid

Thanks for info. I have a lathe but am not sure about taking the motor apart and working on it, I am much more comfortable in a machine shop. Actually, the motor is still coupled up to the differential just the way Cushman left it. I just removed the whole bicycle drivetrain and welded the golf cart "swingarm", motor, differential, disc brake and all in its place. I left the pedals for footrests and left the chain on to confuse the local constabulary. Someone suggested it might be a 1 1/2HP motor but it says 53 Amps on the tag so I think it is the later 3 HP motor. They also suggested I check the voltage coming out of the controller and I did that today. I put the rig against my truck and twisted the throttle full on and measured the voltage from the positive terminal to M- and it said between 5 and 6 volts. I then checked it with the rig jacked up and no load and full throttle voltage was 37 volts., I think the controller is shutting down under a load. It hasn't been run 20 hours since it was refurbed. I might have gotten a lemon-wish there was a good shop around here to check it for me. Fabrication, welding, and machine work is my experience. Thanks.
kuntrywelder is offline   Reply With Quote