View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
d_wittenborn
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Chevy Volt lithium transplant to Club Car Precident

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaXtract View Post
That seems like a good price. About $300 for the panel and controller? You just set the max voltage on the controller? I like that setup. Seems clean and smooth.

I also have those same LiOn batteries. Before your solar setup, how well did the batteries hold a charge? I feel like mine are dropping too much for it to be normal.

Solar panel was about $210 controller about ~35-40. I set the charge controller to shut down at 58 volts, so about 4.15 v per cell. I added 2 extra cells on each pack to bump total voltage up to just over 58. Total WH for the 2 pack is about 4400.
I don’t have a good guess on range yet. The solar won’t add much range while driving, but if the cart is parked in full sun, the amp hours add up nicely. These batteries came out of a Chevy Volt that I bought new about 5 years ago, so they are well used but also well cared for.
No BMS yet, and I may not add one. I have the cells balanced within about 3/1000 of a volt from high to low, and they don’t seem to be drifting. I’ll be watching it closely and if they begin to drift, I’ll have to add a couple of BMS boards. I plan to install failsafe relays to interrupt charge and discharge before any damage could be done. I’m hoping the packs last longer than I do...
d_wittenborn is offline   Reply With Quote