View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New batteries and converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwg View Post
Yeah, just ordered a dpi from amazon yesterday. I have been metering trying to find power output when all is off, not finding anything. I have 36v constant going to my state of charge, 36v constant going to my switch that turns on meter/converter, switch is there in place of wiring to key switch, not getting any voltage on key switch maybe the issue... get a new key switch.
If the cart runs, the keyswitch isn't defective, so no need to replace it.

The power drains I mentioned exist and are normal. If you want to find out exactly how much power is being drained from the battery pack, you'll have to look at the Inputs to the controller and converter rather than the Outputs. To do that you need to use an ammeter in series with the input, or measure the voltage drop across a resistor that is in series with the input.

There is already a resistor across the solenoid's large terminal and its Ohmic value should be marked on it. Measure the voltage on the battery pack side of the resistor and then the controller side of the resistor. The difference between those two voltage is the voltage drop cause by the amps flowing through the resistance.

For example, the resistor is 250Ω and there is 5V of deference, there is 0.02A of current flowing. (20 Milliamps)

The battery pack is connected to the controller in two more places. J1 Pins 4 & 5. Both can be measured with an ammeter inserted at the other end of the wires attached to the pins.

J1 Pin-4 is feed by the reed switch in the charge receptacle. Disconnect the inline quick-connect on the smaller of the three wires coming out of the charge receptacle and reconnect using an ammeter in series. (This feeds the controller's electronics, so there will be a current flow except when the Run/Tow switch is in Tow.)

J1 Pin-5 is feed by the red wire on the solenoid's battery side large terminal. Disconnect the red wire and reconnect using an ammeter in series. (The feeds the external switches connected to controller and has voltage on it 100% of the time, but no current flow unless the contacts of an external switch is closed.)

For the converter, insert an ammeter in the Positive 36V wire feeding the converter.

Of course, what the value of these unavoidable amp drains actually are is immaterial once you start using your DPI charger. It float chargers at a constant voltage (about 39.40V in Mode-2) and adjusts the amps needed to maintain that voltage.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote