View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 DS Club Car maintenance Suggestions

The rod under the floorboards he mentioned will work (don't do that yet), but the zip ties method he mentions for the governor will not because it only applies to 1992-newer carts. Us guys with the older carts have it much easier.

There are two solid linkage rod adjustments that affect cart speed on a 1984-1991 Club Car. They are both very easy. In fact, the first method is so easy that they redesigned the governor in 1992 to make it harder to a adjust (these newer carts require the "zip tie" method mentioned in the "Speeding Up Your Club Car" post). I imagine golf courses complained to Club Car that leadfoot golfers were able to easily speed up pre-1992 rental carts and damaging them.

First method is a governor rod adjustment that goes between the transaxle and the throttle butterfly (up top), and second there's the pedal linkage rod that can be lengthened (which was the first thing mentioned in the "Speeding Up Your Club Car" post). I wouldn't bother with adjusting the pedal rod under the floorboard until you first adjust the governor up top. My governor is completely disconnected and the cart is fast enough for me (will go 21-22mph).

But DO BE CAREFUL. If you remove the governor, you (or someone you let drive the cart) can run the motor too hard and it won't last. But there's plenty of room to go faster without putting the motor in danger.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote