View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: High Current Wiring Get hot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Shocker View Post
As I am learning, Ez-Go golf carts make me cringe. Heres my issue with the Current Ez-Go Series 36v. With all stock configurations, all of the high current wiring gets extremely hot. Once this occurs, the cart looses all power and torque. The controller had the strong smell of burnt wiring. We replaced the stock controller with a Alltrax 400 Amp and HD Solenoid and new HD Forward Reverse Switch. Guess what, we still have the same issue with the High Current wiring getting hot, and losing power. Is this pointing to a motor issue or is it something I'm not familiar with. Thanks..
Heat is caused by amps flowing through resistance, so anything in the high-current circuit getting excessively hot is defective.

What size high-current cables do you have?

Which Alltrax 400A controller are you running?

What is your tire height? (Stock height is 18")

--------
A properly working series wound motor can get too hot to touch (up to about 239°F case temperature is acceptable) and the controller can get mighty warm, but everything else should stay cool enough to hold onto for several seconds and the cables shouldn't get much more than 10°F to 20°F above ambient.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote