View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 11:22 PM   #1
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV Leaf Gen 1 to Leaf e+ Upgrade Build Thread

Ok, so I built my original RXV 14s Leaf conversion in 2014 and it has performed admirable over the years. Almost zero maintenance and a great performer. But, the way I use the cart has changed and now I’m doing a lot of trail riding and need a boost in range. The easy way would have been to buy 7 more gen 1 modules and add them to the pack to make 14S2P. After doing much shopping around, I found that almost all the modules on the market were near wore out and down to 40ah capacity or less. And people still wanted lots of money for them. It didn’t make sense to me to do a major upgrade and gain a relatively minor increase in pack size. After more research and a bit of a gamble, I ended up with two 7S3P packs from a 2019 Leaf. Advertised at ~170ah. They are a pretty neat design, much more compact and come with pigtail taps for the BMS to monitor individual cells. They weren’t cheap, but still less than a RoyPow setup, which wouldn’t have been available till at least the spring anyway since I wanted the “P” model with the higher continuous discharge rate. I was also able to keep my current charger, and after considerable modification, reuse my old miniBMS from the now defunct cleanpowerauto. While I’m at it I also cleaned up the battery box with diamond plate, re-wired all the 12v accessories, and will be doing a controller and cosmetic upgrades as well. Overall a good winter project. I’m probably 70% complete at this point, and will start dropping pictures periodically. Don’t want to overwhelm you on day 1 . I’ll start with the “before” pics. Covered in dust fresh from a ride prior to pulling it apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04B52353-AC27-43DB-B427-0635D3739EEB.jpg (146.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 042DE3E3-5C50-4DC7-8627-657837A38C7D.jpg (132.9 KB, 0 views)
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote