View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
gsmart
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1981 CC DS 36V to 48v Conversion

Hellos, I am a BGW new-B in need of some direction. I have a 1981 Club Car DS 36V golf cart. It was not running when I purchased it and discovered one of the main wires was severed just inside the motor. My assumption is the previous owner allowed the batteries to get to low and when he tried to run it the motor arc’d. It was a quick fix and with a new set of batteries along with a little cosmetic TLC the cart looks and runs great. (pics soon).

I am trying to determine if it makes sense to upgrade the guts of the cart versus purchasing a newer version. More speed would be great, but initially I am only looking for more torque, run-time, with a possible addition of 12v for power and or accessories (lighting, radio, etc.).

The cart has a 5 solenoid resistor coil setup, no v-glide. After exhausting all search engines and reading numerous threads on the subject I am still a little short of my answer. The majority of the threads I have read that take you from 36V to 48V have starting points further down than mine, but what I am searching for is what is the minimum that I can do while noticing improvements. Can I change to a non-programmable controller without adding the PB-6 box? Does it make more sense to switch to an MCOR setup to save money?

So far I noticed the shopping list for a full conversion to be:
1. Controller 400+ amp (programmable/non-programmable)
2. HD 48V solenoid
3. 4 gauge battery cables
4. PB-6 Pot Box or MCOR
5. F/R switch
6. 2 6v or 6 (8v) batteries
7. 48V Charger (when required)

What steps can be done to improve performance without necessarily doing it all at once? Thanks and I appreciate any help.

Gordon
gsmart is offline   Reply With Quote