View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
TestPoint
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G16 electrical issues

I obviously had starter/generator problems. Replaced with non-OEM unit. Spins and starts reliably now. Generates about 16.8v unregulated.

Now to the voltage regulator. Replaced the original unit (22 years old) out of concern that the start/gen transfer which is under control of the regulator might have been the starting problem. Bought one of the $7 units despite numerous warnings that they were unreliable. I figured that they make hundreds of thousands of these universal regulators for everything from carts to motorcycles. They couldn't all be bad.

Replacement regulated battery voltage to 12.1 volts. Battery returned to 12.6v with engine off. Obviously defective.

Old Tight Wad Tom just couldn't stand paying $45 for an OEM Yamaha regulator so I tried another $7 unit from another ebay seller. This one had no regulation at all. Voltage varied from about 12v at idle to 16.8v at max rpm.

Hopefully sending both back but return postage (on me) may make that effort non-economical on a $7 item.

OK, now the question: with the above info is there anything else that could be causing the regulation problem?

If not I guess I will spring the big bucks to go Yamaha although I know that Yamaha buys rather than makes these little items.
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote