View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
bbriggs
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 08 Club Car DS price?

To be fair, it would take some effort to pay as much as 1200 for any 48v set of the 'correct' batteries, such as red-top Trojans; $600 would be a good deal but also MUCH closer to fair and accurate. 5 years of life is a pretty fair estimate for an 8v set, a 6v set will probably last longer and a 12 volt set may not last that long. It depends greatly on how far you typically travel on a charge and your willingness to add distilled water periodically.

Maintenance is considered to be less on electrics than gas, but it strikes me as a tradeoff between filters, oil, fuel and fuel stabilizer etc. vs watering batteries, hooking to charger, and biting the bullet every 5-8 years for a rather expensive new set of batteries. Someone added up the typical annual cost of each, including replacement batteries for both, depreciation, fuel, electric etc, and concluded as I recall that gas was about 70% the cost of electric.

I test drove a number of gas units and several electrics prior to my own decision, having been told that the gas ones today are very quiet and that the electrics now set the standard for power. I found that the gas ones were actually quite noisy and their acceleration (stock) was quite boring. The electrics, to me, were FUN. Instant gratification when the pedal is mashed without the sound of a struggling engine. My cart is a utility cart, it is used on the farm and nursery as a beast of burden, and I have no need to travel to the next county. Torque and quiet are important features to me.

Please, I beg you all, those were merely my impressions and I respect and understand the other opinions expressed here. I'm getting the impression that OP has test driven both, considered the alternatives, and reached a tentative conclusion. I don't pay much attention to the gas cart prices, but have noted factory rebuilt gas (and electric) carts for not a lot more than $3000.
bbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote