View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hard Starting 1989 2 Stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccowboy View Post
I have an 89 marathon and the engine runs well when it finally cranks, however, it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to get it to crank. Compression is good at approx 140 psi, getting good flow of fuel with new filters and carb adjusted properly (I think) by service shop. Air flow is good with new filter and has a new spark plug. Could it possibly be anything ignition related? Also, how does one tell the difference between a 2pg and a 3pg 2 cycle engine? Really wish I could find a shop manual on this engine, I think it would answer a bunch of questions and allow me to know what the specs are. thanks
UPDATE:
I now can see that I am getting a fuel/oil mixture slinging off of the drive clutch and there is a heavy smell of gas coming from the engine compartment. I think that my crank seal is leaking at least on the clutch side. How difficult is it to R&R the crank seals? Does anyone have the step by step procedures for accomplishing this or is it pretty straight forward. If the crank seals are leaking then could that be the cause of the hard starting? It makes sense to me that if the seals are leaking then the crankcase pulses are not strong enough to drive the fuel pump thereby causing a fuel starvation issue. Ruredy....am I on the right track? please help!!

Trey
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote